New to Yoga?
If you've never practiced yoga before, we know that the thought of signing up and attending a class can be intimidating. We've all had to start somewhere, and we get it! At SoulPlay, we love beginners and teaching you to move into your body and your breath. If you're newer to the practice, consider starting with these classes --->
A few things to note, and a few you don't need to worry about:
1. Yoga is for EVERY BODY. If you have a body and a heartbeat, you can practice yoga. Flexibility is not required - contrary to what Instagram might show you, yoga is not about touching your toes or contorting yourself into a pretzel; it's about making time to connect to your body and your breath, and de-stressing your life. Anyone can (and should) do it.
2. You don't need to be flexible. Thinking you're too inflexible to do yoga is like thinking you're too dirty to take a shower. Improving flexibility is one of the great benefits of yoga! The more you do it, the better it will feel. All you need to do is show up, breathe and keep an open mind.
3. DO allow yourself to be a beginner, especially if you are! Try to leave your self-criticism at the door and just allow yourself to move, try and learn.
4. You do not need a yoga mat or yoga props. We provide mats, blocks, straps and blankets at no charge. Once you come more regularly, we do encourage you to invest in a yoga mat as a commitment to your practice. Coming to your own mat each time feels way better than to a borrowed mat.
5. Wear comfortable clothes that you can move in. Plan to practice without shoes or socks.
6. Leave your cell phone in the car or turned off in one of the studio's provided storage cubbies. Let this time for your practice be your time to unplug and reconnect with yourself without the distractions of technology. Cell phones are not permitted in the yoga studio unless you're on call or have a potentially urgent situation coming up. Please let the instructor know if that's the case.
7. Please remove your shoes before entering a yoga studio. It is a sign of respect for the sacred space of the practice.
8. Know that the more often you practice, the greater the benefits will be and the more you will feel the difference in your mind and body. We recommend 2-3 times a week if possible, more if you can!
9. Bring water and a small towel with you if you get sweaty! We have water bottles available at the studio for purchase or for free if you check in to social media while you are here. We provide a filtered water cooler to refill your personal water bottle.
10. Most importantly, listen to yourself and your body. Let go of expectations, allow yourself to have good days and bad days and let your practice be a way to check in and give yourself what you need.
11. Don't worry about what your poses look like! Every body is different and postures will look different in everyone's body. Your instructor will help you make adjustments to find the pose expression that feels best in your body, but don't compare yourself. On your mat, YOU DO YOU.
12. Know that you will not be judged. Not ever. SoulPlay Yoga is an incredibly welcoming, warm, accepting community. We are thrilled to welcome newcomers and we hope you will love our yoga family as much as we do.
13. We suggest arriving at least 15 minutes early class to ease in and give yourself enough time to sign in, select yoga props, and set up your practice space.
14. If you ever find yourself over-challenged or fatigued in the middle of a class, it is COMPLETELY OKAY to stop and rest. We suggest catching your breath in Child's Pose!
15. Drink lots of water after class to prevent dehydration.
Namaste and we hope to meet you soon!